Salted caramel lovers unite! These cupcakes are full of that salty/sweet combo that I love so much, and they are packed with amazing apple flavor.
My aunt asked me to make cupcakes for her to take to chemo to thank the nurses. What better way to show appreciation than with salted caramel heaven. Snickerdoodle cupcakes with pieces of apple filled with a delicious caramel apple mixture. The whole thing is topped with salted caramel buttercream and a salted caramel drizzle. So much goodness in such a small package.
Since these are filled cupcakes, they take a little bit longer to make. So worth it. I used a cupcake corer to cut out the middles and fill with the apple mixture. If you don’t have a cupcake corer, you can use an apple corer or a really sharp knife. Before I got my cupcake corer, I used an apple corer because it makes it easier to scoop out the cake once you cut it.
I topped these with my salted caramel buttercream and drizzled the extra caramel on top. Any extra caramel from the apple mixture can also be added to the buttercream for even more apple flavor.
- 2 apples, chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. milk + 2 tbsp. corn starch
- For Cupcakes:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups - 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 apple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and corn starch. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine apples, butter, sugars, and vanilla.
- Once butter melts and combines with sugars, add milk/corn starch mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Let boil 2-4 minutes or until apples are softened.
- Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour corn starch, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Slowly, add dry ingredients in four parts.
- Mix in milk until well combined.
- Stir in apples.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotate, and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on cooling rack.
- Once cupcakes are cool, core cupcakes and fill with about 1 tbsp. mixture.
- Top with buttercream and salted caramel drizzle.
These cupcakes are sure to make any occasion a special occasion. Try it at your next barbecue, family get together, or beginning of fall celebration. =)